You don’t even need to be at the beach to have a great time with this activity!
- Items to place as obstacles (approximately 5-6)
- Examples: shells, plastic cups, cones, sand buckets
- Favorite Music CD & Player
- Stop Watch or Watch with a second hand
- Space obstacles in a line (approximately 2 feet apart)
- Play favorite music in background. The music from The Gumbo Gang videos always works for me!
- Next, tell them that you are going to pretend to turn everyone into sand crabs. Say, “Silly Gumbo, that is you. Everyone is a sand crab on the count of two. One, two.”
- Ask everyone to show their pinchers (using their hands).
- Now tell them that they are going to have to do the crab crawl past the obstacles to the end, circle around it and crab crawl back to the beginning.
- Each person will take their pretend pinchers and put them on the ground and then walk with their hands and feet on the ground (not crawling on knees).
- After each person has had a turn, you may increase the level of difficulty according to the age/ability of the participants by:
Having them zig zag (while doing the crab walk) through the obstacles.
Time each person to see who crab walks the fastest.
Place obstacles randomly around the room & have them crab crawl completely in a circle around each one .
Don’t forget to turn them back into kids when you are done!
Make sure your imaginations are ready!!!!
Get ready for some silly fun!!!!